The fall is officially here now, and it's time to focus on what I want to achieve this October. But instead of making sweeping plans this month I'm going to be more realistic with my goals. Perhaps reality has set in that I'm not superwoman, and I can't do everything all at once. But last month I made some wonderful goals...that unfortunately just weren't realistic. Here's what the plan was for September, and then what really happened.
1. Ride my bike once a week. Earlier in the summer my boyfriend and I bought bikes. We wanted to ride them to cafes, on weekends, along country roads…and we’ve only ridden them twice! So for September I’m going to try and ride my bike once a week. It’s such a fun way to get around and I’ll get exercise while I’m having fun in the city! What really happened I didn't even ride my bike once! It turns out it's a big activity to get bikes from a condo storage locker...and it's a pretty big detterent when I'm thinking of last minute activities to do. For me to get the bike I have to: 1 - get the key from the concierge for the storage space (5 minutes) 2 - unlock the bikes and take them out of the huge maze of bikes in the storage area (10 minutes) 3 - return the key to the concierge (5 minutes) That means before I've even jumped on the bike I've spent 20 minutes getting it out of the storage locker. And that doesn't even account for the time to get my biking outfit on, figure out where to bike, and collect all the essential things I'd need to take with me. On a positive note I did go running a few times, and walked to all my appointments whenever possible. So I did get exercise this month...just not on my bike.
2. Go to a film festival movie. I live in Toronto because I love the life the city has to offer. There are always things going on…like the Toronto International Film Festival, but I rarely take advantage. So this year I’m going to see at least one show. What really happened It turns out getting film festival tickets is not that easy! I was very close to getting tickets one night, but then the tickets weren't available in the last second. So, there was no film festival. Instead, I went to Cirque de Soleil, which was unbelievable, so I didn't feel cheated.
3. Visit New York City. I’ve always wanted to go to the Big Apple. But somehow life gets in the way, and because it’s so close I never end up going. What really happened Since this big announcement I've really been watching my pennies. It turns out weddings are not cheap, so I need to be in the months leading up to the big event so I can afford it!
4. Throw a cashmereclutch launch party. Since I started this site I’ve been very slow at letting my friends know about it. Partially I wanted to make some more enhancements before I had a party, and also I was waiting for a sunny weekend. But like all good plans life gets in the way – the enhancements take longer than expected and the weather has been less than excellent this summer. So the heck with it – I’m going to live my life and have my great launch party anyways! What really happened We've had terrible weather this summer in Toronto, but September has been beautiful. So everyone has been making crazy plans to take weekend trips, go to their cottages, and go to the last weddings of the summer - which means my VIP list would be MIA for my launch party, and that just won't do! So, I had to postpone it for October.
Which of course leads to my October Goals.
1. Start wedding planning. Yup, I'll be that girl buying stacks of crazy expensive bridal magazines, pouring over tiny details on invitations, and watching my savings account drip dry down while I plan one of the most exciting events of my life! This month I want to plan when and where.
2. Throw a cashmereclutch launch party. Yup, it's on the list again. This time I'm setting a date and hoping that everyone can make it. If they can't....oh well.
3. Have more focus on the task at hand. This may sound like a really silly thing to say, but I need to work on it. Like every busy girl I'll be multi-tasking and doing about 6 different things at any given time. I end up feeling pretty frazzled, and like I haven't been totally dedicated to what I'm doing. As a result dates, facts, and events get really hard to recall because I was never totally present while things were being arranged. I'm particularly bad with phone conversations. I'll be chatting away, half paying attention, while I'm also responding to email and clearing the clutter off my desk. It's horrible! Last Friday I was chatting with someone and realized after I hung up that I have no idea what they were talking about or what I agreed to do! So I made a deal with myself: If I'm on the phone I'm on the phone only. If I'm writing an email I'm only writing email. If I'm having a conversation with someone I'm engaged in the conversation... and not thinking about the 10 other things I need to accomplish within the next 6 minutes. And that's it for my list this month. I'm going to be more focused than September. I'm trying not to commit to things that are not realistic. What are your goals for this month?